Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Sayonara 2008!



Ever since a very painful breakup in 2004, my years have been slowly improving. (Although I can't really imagine a worse year than 2004 so it's not hard to improve upon.) And in 2008 I've finally made steps toward a new career- Veterinary Medicine. I've always been an animal lover and now I'm finally brave enough to take the steps towards a career with them.
So I think I'll take this opportunity to state my hopes and resolutions for 2009.

Career Goals:
I have 3 more prerequisite classes to take. I'm enrolled in Physics II this coming semester. I got an A (AN A!) in Physics I last semester. So I want to keep on track. And to do that I think I need to schedule my study sessions. I tend to be a last minute crammer, and I'd like to go into exams feeling like I've been keeping up all along and don't need to cram. So since my class is in the morning now, my goal is to study for at least 2 hours 4 times per week.
I also need to put in at least 200 hours in an animal care setting. I've been shadowing at a local veterinary clinic over my Christmas vacation and have about 40 hours so far. So I plan to schedule more hours at the clinic, make more time to volunteer at the Humane Society, and to look into volunteering at the Wildlife Rescue in the springtime.
This should prepare me to apply to Vet school this summer for admission in the fall of 2010.

Personal Goals:
I've really gotten lax about my exercise habits and have gained weight as a result. I am really unhappy with my body right now, and it makes it really hard for me to feel confident about dating. So the first part of my plan is to exercise for 30 minutes 3 times per week. After 1 month I will add another day. Right now I know that I'll probably have to do the elliptical trainer, or a run-walk program, but after a month, I'd like to be back up to running for 30 minutes. Hopefully by getting back on the exercise wagon I can take off some of the weight that I've gained. Right now I'd feel best losing about 15 to 20 pounds. I plan to really kick up the fruit and veggie intake and reevaluate after 1 month to see if I need to make futher changes to my diet.
At age 32 I'm ready to get married and think about children, but right now I'm single. And I've been single for probably about 2 years. I've tried everything that I can think of to meet new people for dating etc. I've tried Match.com, Yahoo Personals, e-Harmony, okCupid. I've gone on dozens of first dates but haven't met the right person. Either he's interested and I'm not, or I am and he's not. I've also asked friends about single friends and I volunteer with several events/organizations. I rarely say no to an invitation to go out and do things.
And I've gotten really discouraged. I don't know what else I can do to move towards my goal of marriage and family and I feel sad that I'm still alone. I'm trying to just let go and live my life and accept that I CAN'T do anything about it. But it's been really hard and I've definitely cried over it. So my goal is to just let go. I think in order to do that, I'll need to really fill my time- but with work and school and volunteering hopefully it won't be too hard. My only concern is that I have several married friends who are trying to get pregnant, and while I'm happy and hopeful for them, I am know that watching things happen for them that I want for myself is going to bring my loneliness to the forefront.
But 2009 is going to be a busy year. Hopefully it will be MY year. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

scappyhappy said...

Kriten,
I am 57 and not quiet in the same boat as you because I have been married before but even at my age, dear goodness where are the good men. We will have to talk...but let me give you a little surprise from my name the bear contest. Email me at my address and I have a little package to send to you...I will explain in an email...keep up the smiles because as someone told me...every pot has a lid...and darn it I want my lid too! LOL...Iva

Jane said...

Congratulations on going back to school and starting a new life! You definitely did the right thing in 2008. Thanks for entering my contest. Good Luck.
Jane

Minnesota Nice said...

I didn't know you had a blog! Hey, Tami told me you signed up for squirrel feedings, YAY! You will love it, and Scott our shift leader ROCKS. He taught me everything I know about skwerls :) He blogs too - you should friend him on facebook, he's in my list. Tell him you're going to be on the Sunday night crew, he'll be thrilled.

Blogger said...

Did you know you can shorten your long urls with AdFly and get dollars for every visitor to your shortened urls.