So while surfing the knitting net, I came across this post.
It's about the Red Scarf Project for the Orphan Foundation of America. (I didn't know they still used the word "orphan". Seems like our politically correct culture would be all over that. But I digress.) Apparently they collect hand knitted red scarves for college-bound foster kids. That is such a cool idea! I don't know much about America's foster system except for the fact that teens are far less likely to be adopted and often just "age out" of the system at 18. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about this!) At that point they are on their own. I imagine that there are some social services, but I remember being 18 and totally clueless on my way to college. I can't imagine not having family support! So if I can send a scarf and a gift card to someone who could use some support and encouragement, it seems like a good cause.
For more information about how you can help (they happily accept cash donations for shipping costs etc. if you're not a knitter) check out their website
here.
Now to find some red yarn!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment