Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ragnar and Running and Rutabagas! Oh my!

This past weekend was totally packed for me. Back in the spring when I was thinking about fitting into a bridesmaid's dress for my sister's wedding on 8/08/08, it seemed like a good idea when some online forum women decided to put together a team for the Ragnar Great River Relay. The relay ran along the Mississippi and St. Croix Rivers from LaCrosse, WI to Minneapolis, MN for a total of 206 miles. We created a women's submasters team (all women, all 30 or older) of 12 women from the forum. We also had dedicated drivers for the 2 vans so that the runners didn't have to drive when tired. Our team name was the Spare-Parted Possums (lots of injuries/surgeries/"spare-parts" etc. and well, the possum thing was just a topic of discussion on the forum the day we chose a name.)
Cute/scary opossum!








Here we are at the starting line!



I was runner 3 of van 1. Originally my first leg was listed as 6.1, second one was 4-5ish, and the 3rd was 2.9 miles. I am not a hardcore runner like most of my teammates. I like the routine of 3-4 miles 3 times a week. So I was kind of doing my thing and then 2 weeks before the race we get an email telling us that the course has changed a bit and the various leg have had to be adjusted. My 6.1 mile leg was now 9.5. I got scared. And then I bumped up my long runs as much as I could in 2 weeks (last one was about 7-7.5 miles).
On race day I was predicting 13mm because I'd been running 11-12mm and I was anticipating having to walk some of that long leg. It was about 9am and overcast but humid when I get the handoff from Buggy. Pretty much my entire leg was on CR-35. 2 lanes with a pretty narrow shoulder. The semis would blow past me about 5 feet away. But I came to love those semis. Every time they went by, I would get a big gust of breeze and it was really nice. I'd see one coming and be thinking "yay! another semi!" and it would go past and I'd lift my arms like I was doing the chicken dance. Ahhhh, breeze in my armpits! I asked my team to meet me at mile 6 or 7 with Gatorade but I did take up the offers of water from other teams when the sun came out at mile 4.5. somewhere around 6 I needed to start taking some walk breaks, so I walked 2 and ran at least 10 min. Finally after 3 walk breaks I saw the sign that said "ONE MORE MILE". JOY!!! I said "no more walks- run this out!" I was finally coming into a town so I was running past houses and around curves in the road. I didn't look at my watch but that was seriously the longest mile ever. I kept thinking "the exchange has to be around the next corner" but I would come around and just see another turn sign ahead. Finally after running up a hill I turned and saw the exchange and Newfmrs waiting for me. I really didn't have a kick left in me so I just trotted into the exchange and slapped the bracelet on her. 1:51ish minutes so approx 11:30 mm. A bunch of people passed me but they were all encouraging. I had a blister developing on my big toe and I was exhausted but I was happy because that leg was more than 1/2 my total milage for the race and it was a relief to have it completed.
At our first major exchange I took the coldest shower of my life (and could NOT bring myself to wash my hair) and then we went to see the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and have some dinner. After a short nap in my sleeping bag it was time to meet Gophergirl at the exchange and begin the night legs. My second leg had been adjusted to 5.1 miles, pretty flat, and still all along CR-35. I was worried about this one as well because the muscle pain and stiffness from leg one had started to set in. And I was a little apprehensive about how lonely it would be on the road. Despite being passed by 7-8 people on my first leg and people offering water, my first leg had felt a bit lonely. And this one was going to be in the dark. At about 10:30pm I got the slap from Buggy and started running. Happily, it didn't feel nearly as lonely as I'd feared. I got passed by another 7-8 people, there were tons of race vans going by and cheering, and there was one runner from another team who ran most of the leg about 20 yards behind me so I could usually hear footsteps if I got nervous. And running into the circle of light from my headlamp was nice. I just kept heading towards the light on the road in front of me and didn't have to really think or absorb too much from around me. Finished in about 59minutes so 11:45ish mm?
My body had had enough at this point so I crawled into my sleeping bag in the back seat of the van, rearranged as much gear as I could and crashed. I couldn't even stay away enough to cheer for my van-mates (sorry). I didn't even get out of the van for a shower or a sleeping spot when we got to the high school. I just passed out back there. The black sky is just starting to lighten a tad in the east when we got the call to go to the next exchange in Stillwater. My final legs was 2.9 miles and began at about 7am I think. I was really sore at this point but after 2-3 minutes of a limpy sort of gait, I was able to loosen up enough to run normally. It was reasonably cool that early in the morning and this leg was run on adrenaline and the knowledge that after these 2.9 miles I was DONE. I think I finished in about 30 minutes or so.
Our team ran across the finish line together at about 4:30pm for a total running time of 33 hours:15 minutes:25 seconds for an average pace of 9:59.
Here we are at the finish!

Looking good, right?

I found out that I have a lot more strength and mental toughness than I thought I did. I was hurting but when it was my turn I don't think I bitched too much. I just got out there and got it done. And in between I ate pringles and Ho Hos and talked to my awesome teammates and cheered for all the runners. And then I got a massage at the finish and ate pizza and dressed Momo and it was so awesome. My only regret is that I never passed anybody, but I got passed by a ton of people. My leg 2 stalker passed me briefly but then a teammate gave her water and she walked while she drank so I got back into my spot a few yards ahead. But since she started after me it wasn't really a "pass". But it's a minor regret in the face of all the fun I had. I would love to do it again!
On Sunday I was sore, but it was manageable and I decided to drive up to Cumberland, WI to meet some friends at their cabin and attend the last day of Rutabaga Festival. So after about 2 hours of driving I spent the afternoon napping, pontooning, swimming and snacking. In the evening we went into town for the festival and played skee-ball, danced to The Dweebs, ate a corndog and drank Leinie's Summer Shandys. On the way into town I realized that I'd forgotten my walled at home (2 hours away) so I had about 32 cents in change and no cards. Thankfully I didn't get carded and my friends kept me supplied with beers and a corndog. I love my friends! We got back at about 11pm and I made it through about 11 minutes of Office Space before crashing on the couch. The next morning I stayed for fabulous blueberry pancakes, bacon and fruit and then got back on the road and headed straight to work. I ended up having to work from noon to about 8pm but it was totally worth it. And I invited myself back for Rutabaga Festival next year!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Congratulations Kristen! You won the bronze medal prize in my blog contest :) Shoot me an email with your address when you get a chance so I can mail your prize.